Sunday, June 17, 2012

The experience has just begun


Good God London is cool. Everything about it just oozes style: the food, the people, the sites.

This is going to be one great trip. So much has happened already, and it’s only been one day.

Let’s start with the flight. No offense to the Morgantown Airport, but it’s pretty hokey. We flew for literally ten minutes before picking up more people in Charleston. The flight to DC from there went quick, and I started to get to know some people. I’m excited about our group: everyone gets along so well!

Dulles Airport in Washington, D.C. was absolutely huge. It was so big that it looked as if nobody was there, but there were thousands of people there. It was just that big. Our flight got delayed a little, so by the time we ate on the plane, it had to have been after midnight. I tried my first Indian food on the plane; not too bad. For airplane food.

The plane was very nice: it had movies, music, and TV shows. With all of the great and recent choices, I shamelessly chose to watch the Sound of Music. After the movie ended, I tried sleeping on the plane. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t terrible. 
Walking along the canals
in Little Venice

We had breakfast and landed around 11 a.m. London time. That’s five hours ahead of back home. A bus came to Heathrow to take us to our flats, and into the world that is London.

The Queen drove past us as part of the end of her Jubilee celebration! To me, it was just a black car, but it was a treat most Brits don’t ever get to see.

We got to our flats, which are in Clifton Gardens. It’s a pretty posh neighborhood, and nothing really happens after 11 p.m. That’s honestly okay for right now, since I’m still adjusting to London time.

We got our first taste of London at a restaurant near the flats, called Raoul’s. I got a sandwich with fresh avocado, fresh mozzarella, pesto, and eggplant (known by it’s French name, aubergine, over here).

Samuel Smith's pure
brewed lager
The food in England is so fresh. At least what I’ve had.  I can tell the regulations on food are way stricter here. Organic, fair trade, free range, etc. food is much cheaper and more readily available than in the states. I’m all about that!

At night, we went to a pub, where I had my first European beer. I must say, it was great. Fuller and smoother and all around better than in the states. It was a pure-brewed lager from a local brand, Samuel Smith. After that, I had a gin and tonic. I couldn’t go to England and not try some gin!
This picture's for you, Dad!

We met up with the rest of the group at another pub. It was great getting to know everyone! I ended my day eager to really get into the city the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment