Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Camden Market, Center of the Universe...



Sunday was a magical day where I made a pilgrimage to the Holy Mecca of Camden Market.
 
Seriously, there is no place on Earth better suited to me.

Miles of record stores, vintage shops, foods from all over the world, knick-knacks, handmade art, organic and fair trade alcohol, candy, and coffee, hookah cafes with couches instead of chairs. It was really something else.

Kaidy and I wandered off and spent the entire day looking around. We actually missed the last canal back to Maida Vale (our neighborhood) and had to catch the tube (the Subway).


The best part is, you could wander all day and eat for free. Free samples were spread out at your fingertips. Once, a woman at a Chinese restaurant told us she’d take whatever money we had. We both just gave her change and got a full meal!

Poor woman. I didn’t even give her two pounds.

Bartering was probably the best part of the day. I got a totally flower childlike dress for seven pounds less than it was priced. Kaidy talked a guy down 15 pounds to draw custom artwork on her white canvas shoes. It was so great!

Being the good little music lover that I am, I just had to buy some vinyl.

And what better than the Smiths’ “Louder than Bombs?” It is one of my favorites because it’s so weird. Some songs from it are on other albums, and some aren’t on any. It also contains my favorite Smiths song, “Asleep.” It’s so entrancing and simple. It was mentioned in one of my favorite books, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.”

I got so many awesome doo dads and souvenirs (including a shirt with The Strokes on it and a case for my iPhone that looks like a classic Nintendo Game Boy).

I also have this internal debate going on of whether or not to buy Doc Martens. I mean. It is London. And it is Camden. And they are Doc Martens. But they are a bit pricy. But they are so well made! And if so, what color would they be? Suggestions would be lovely!
 
We got falafel boxes from a Turkish food stand. It looked to have been run by a guy a little older than me and his mother. How cute.  It was so delicious. I think casually sitting by the canal in the warm and rare sun made it even better.

That night, pretty much our entire group came over. It’s always great to hang out with them. We’re so lucky we all get along.

Monday was Hillar’s (our faculty leader) favorite excursion, according to him. We took a lovely boat ride along the Thames River to Greenwich.

You all know what we did there. We stood in both the Eastern and Western Hemispheres over the Prime Meridian! There was also a museum devoted to latitude, longitude, and Greenwich Mean Time.

I'm over two hemispheres!
We then explored the small village of Greenwich and grabbed a pint at a brewery.

Morgan and I did have a wild experience in the village. We stopped at a smoothie shop that also sold coffee. She ordered an iced hot chocolate with espresso and I got a skimmed iced latte. Whatever these people did, they charged us both for milkshakes and made something in a blender. They poured it into two cups and gave it to us.

Awkward prom pics on the Prime
Meridian!
I guess they had other plans as to what we were getting.

Last night, we booked tickets for Sweeney Todd!! I am beyond excited to go see the show tonight. It stars Imelda Staunton (Professor Umbridge in the Harry Potter films) and Michael Ball (another known Broadway actor).
The largest painted ceiling
in England

Just the fact that I’m seeing big names in Sweeney Todd in London blows my mind. I may even try to convince the group to take a late-night stroll down fleet street following the show…

No comments:

Post a Comment