Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Welcome to Shoreditch

This neighborhood is most certainly
never bland
This neighborhood blew my mind with hip.

I. Love. Shoreditch.

Jamaica in Shoreditch
My day started out as the typical first day of an internship. In our flat, everyone's hair styling products all stopped working at the same time. Morgan and I also got off on a tube stop that traveled the opposite direction of our intended destinations. And we were late.

Needless to say, I was flustered.

Luckily, my boss is way cool. He printed out a map of the neighborhood and gave me some places to check out. I spent the rest of the day getting acquainted with my new home.

Curiously placed artwork
You know how in cities, you'll occasionally one or two really funky pieces of street art? Yeah, that's the entire neighborhood.

I began going towards Hoxton Square. It's a small park that looks great to have lunch in. I staked out some clubs and food joints near Rivington St, too.

Pie, mash, and mushy peas
By that time, I was hungry for lunch. I had lunch at Boxpark, arguably the coolest place I've ever ate. It looks as if the cargo holds of trailer trucks were stacked, covered in art, and converted to shops and food places. It's also got open-air seating areas. I got an amazing pie and mash (meat pies and mashed potatoes) using free-range British meat!

I then made my way to Brick Lane. I heard it was known for great BYOB Indian restaurants.
Boxpark

And Jack the Ripper.

Baguettes and Cappuccino
I made my way through the streets, lined with eccentric cafes and vintage shops blasting music from artists like the Smiths. It was a surreal experience. I also saw the Indian restaurants, which my friends and I will be sure to frequent in the coming weeks.

Vintage shops on Brick Lane
When I got back to the flat, I went with some friends to Cafe Rouge, a french cafe a block down from us. We sipped cappuccinos and recounted our days. It was a great way to unwind.

At night, we tried to get into a pub to watch the UK vs Ukraine football (soccer) match. Obviously, Euro Cup 2012 here is a BIG deal. The pubs were packed, so by the time we found one, Britain had won.
These murals are on two opposite sides of a street. How cool is that?




No comments:

Post a Comment