Wednesday, July 11, 2012

In my life, I've loved you more...

I fulfilled a life dream of mine on Monday. That is, I traveled to Liverpool, the hometown of the Beatles. If you din't know, they have been my all-time favorite band for my entire life.

And if you know me and didn't know that, I think you've been wildly inattentive.

It was such a great day. My friend, Anna, and I met at 5 a.m. (yep, in the morning) and caught the 6:24 train to Liverpool. One thing that's funny about Great Britain is that its always light. That's because we are so far north that it's really only dark for a few hours at this time of year.

I guess the sun really doesn't set on the British Empire.

So, we arrived in Liverpool just after ten. We made our way to Albert Dock, where Ringo Starr worked for about a week. There, we got onto a bus tour, "The Magical Mystery Tour."It was an amazing two hours. We got out a few times to take pictures, as well. Such as at the Penny Lane street signs, which have to be bolted into the pavement because they are stolen so often, or at Strawberry Fields. 

We drove past the barber shop where the barber shows photographs of every head he's have the pleasure to have known, the bank where the banker never wears a mac in the pouring rain, and shelter in the middle of a roundabout where a pretty nurse sells poppies from a tray. My mind was blown.

We passed the boys' childhood homes, their schools, the hotel where they played their last show in Liverpool, and much more. We ended at the Cavern Club, where the group played 292 times! We then walked to the Beatles Story, the official Beatles museum. It was an amazing audio tour filled with awesome info and memorabilia. I was beside myself with Beatlemania. There was also a spot chronicling the boys' solo careers. 

At the end was an all white room, with a white piano and John's orange circular specs on it. One wall had the words to "Imagine" written on them. It was a very solemn scene, so much so that I got goosebumps.

We also went to the Starbucks (two of my favorite things: the Beatles and coffee!) and the gift shop.

After that, we went to the Philarmonic Pub. John Lennon was quoted as saying it was that pub that he missed the most about Liverpool, so of course we had to go! We learned that day that the group's favorite drink was a scotch and coke, so of course that's what we ordered. The pub had all sorts of gold accents and had such an old world charm.

On the train ride home, I reflected on the surreal day I had. I kind of can't believe it was that awesome, and that I went to the hometown of my lifelong idols.

I shall leave you with this, my favorite Beatles song and undoubtedly my favorite song of all time, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment