Sunday, July 8, 2012

VERGE


This week began my first full week at Verge, and it has already been a wild and awesome ride! Tuesday, I got Final Cut Pro and went out for drinks with my boss and coworkers at a bar in Oxford Circus called The Social. It had a cool, underground vibe.

Wednesday, I got to film a music video! It was a n acoustic session with Sophie Delila, a musician who is really big in France and is breaking in to the UK music scene. Sophie was very nice, too! We almost went to Paris this weekend, so she was telling us good places to go. That was also the Fourth of July! Morgan and I went to House of Fraser and got our makeup done (for free!) at the Chanel counter! We then went to a pub for dinner and a nightclub. We were in Leicester Square starting the “U-S-A!” chant for a while; we got it going in the club too!

On Thursday, Morgan, Kaidy, and I went to the Disney Store in Oxford Circus to preview Disney’s Christmas 2012 collection! It was so magical, and I’m sure my Aunt Dawn would have loved it. I’ll be writing a piece on it for Verge! There were snow cones, Mickey-shaped mince pies, and cupcakes with glittery icing! We also got a swag bag with some Disney merchandise. That night, Kaidy and I went with our boss, Andre and some other people to a bar or drinks.

Friday started out terribly. For starters, I lost my iPhone on the tube. The guys that work there said I have a fair chance at getting it back, if it wasn’t stolen. I did get a pay-as-you-go phone for £10. Thing is, I’m out of a phone with all my contacts, camera, alarm clock, tube map, wifi, and basically everything else.

So, needless to say, we won’t be seeing any pictures for a while.

Kaidy and I also worked the Wireless Festival in Hyde Park. I got to see Childish Gambino, Metric, Santigold, Deadmau5, and more for free. I mean. It was a great opportunity for networking. And it was free. And there was free beer in the Press Room. Also, we got to meet Metric! Kaidy and I got a lot of networking done and got to meet some cool people! We also had jacket potatoes…basically huge baked potatoes smothered in cheese and whatever else for cheap.

Mmmmmmm.

We also learned how nice and relaxed British police are. Kaidy and I went up to a policewoman speaking into a microphone and let us sing Take Me Home, Country Roads! We also were holding cups of alcohol and were totally not breaking the law!

Yesterday, Hillar took us on a trip to Hampstead. It’s a region where a lot of famous people live.  We went to the Spaniard’s Inn, a pub that’s something like 500 years old and saw Ricky Gervais, an actor who was on the British version of The Office and is in movies! We also trekked through mud to get some good views in the woods. We went to the cemetery where Douglas Adams and Karl Marx are buried. Last night, we went out to Shoreditch, finally!! We went to a club that played cool hip hop from like the 80s and 90s (Rapper’s Delight, anyone?). It was in a building with awesome fuzzy wallpaper and it looked like it was in someone’s apartment.

So now that we’ve seen Buckingham Palace, we had to see another home of The Queen, Windsor Castle. It was so old and beautiful. We talked to some of the people that worked there and found out the Her Majesty is actually pretty cool: sometimes, she’ll take a car and drive around the town of Windsor by herself!

Tomorrow, I go to Liverpool.  I’m SOO excited to go where the Beatles grew up and got together!

I’m beside myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment