Friday, July 20, 2012

Time For You to Go Home to the Places You Will Be From


And just like that, it was over.

I'm sitting in Cafe Nero, just around the corner from my flat. For five weeks now, I've lived and worked in London, arguably the biggest and most influential city in the world. I've poked around most of the corners of this city, met unbelievable people, and had experiences I would have otherwise never had.

This city has become my home, if only for a few weeks.

I've grown in so many ways on this trip. Professionally, I've moved my career forward at a fun and rewarding internship and been able to get recognition for doing what I love. I've seen what the entertainment industry can be like. I've seen how to act in a professional setting, and conversely, how not to act. I've also been given the amazing opportunity to continue with Verge in the states and keep possibilities open in the future. With every project, I became even more passionate about journalism and  convinced that I am doing the right thing.

Personally, I've seen all sides of people. I've learned the importance of speaking up for yourself and fighting for what you want. I've also earned the importance of not caring what other people think of you, and that being alone is okay. I've always known and acted accordingly, but its fascinating to stand back and watch the consequences of both standing out and going with the crowd. I have a better understanding of the importance of being true to who you are and sticking to your values and acting based on them, even if it's not what is mainstream or cool. I've relearned the most basic things I was taught as a child, but seeing them in action and the consequences of people's and my own action have really struck me. I've made great friendships and secured my existing ones. It's really been a great, life-changing experience.

So, as I sit alone in this hip, European cafe, surrounded by people making their way through their lives, I feel good. I am thankful that life is so terrible and beautiful, that people are so friendly, that there are people in life who always have your back, that there is never a point in life where you stop learning, that it's so cold and dreary in London, and that sunshine always follows the rain.

I guess I would like to thank everyone who has read this blog and supported me in my experiences leading up to and during my time in the UK. I'm not sure if I'll continue writing this blog (I'd really like to), but if I do, I encourage you to continue reading my updates. I mean if you want to. We have to be ready to go to the airport at 4:30 tomorrow morning, so that will be an experience.

It's with a heavy heart that I leave London and the friends I have made here. It really isn't goodbye, I'm sure I'll be back. I am excited, though, to get back to that American summer and sunshine.

Until then, we'll meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment