Friday, July 20, 2012

My last week

Monday unexpectedly turned out to be a wonderful day.

I say unexpectedly, because we had no real plans.

We went to Westminster Abbey, where my favorite couple (Will and Kate, of course!) was married. I though it was going to be so-so, but the intertwining history of Catholicism and Protestants was fascinating! I saw so many famous people's graves, like Mary, Queen of Scots, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth I, Alfred Lord Tennyson, George Handel, Geoffrey Chaucer, Sir Laurence Olivier, and more! There was a section called Poet's Corner, where the artists I mentioned are buried, along with memorials to many great British writers, etc., such as Shakespeare, the Bronte sisters, and Jane Austen.

Kaidy and I went to Covent Gardens to explore! I love all of the little shops, patisseries, and street performers there! There was a really neat bar called The Verve, where we took advantage of the happy hour specials. We also ventured (of course) to Oxford Street to House of Fraser and got our makeup doen (for free!) at the Benefit counter. It's a really funky make-up company from San Francisco. We bought foundation and such (big girl make-up!).

Dr. Stewart was in town, so our group met him for a late dinner. He's bringing a group to Oxford to study, so he took them to the Globe Theatre and to Greek food after. We met him at the restaurant he took us to! It was great talking to him. It was also a weird metaphor: we had come full circle. about a month earlier, I was at the same table making awkward conversation with people I barely knew. Now, I had great food with great friends.

Tuesday, we filmed another acoustic session, which I am also going to edit! I'm so excited. That night, I'm pretty sure I just sat at home on Facebook, but it was really nice to catch up on what's going on at home and to just veg.

Wednesday, we filmed a fashion look book! Morgan organized it. It was at a speakeasy in a fancy hotel in Chelsea. Seriously, I'm sure one night there costs more than I do. The venue was so awesome though! It seemed as if each quirky piece of decor has it's own, awesome story.

That night, Kaidy, Ardath, and I went to East London! East London really is one of my favorite places on Earth. It's so original, gritty, and it doesn't care about what's mainstream or cool. The people there set trends by just doing their thing. Kaidy went and got her hair cut at an awesome salon, so Ardath and I accompanied! They served us free cocktails while we waited! I got, what else, an espresso martini! After, we went to Nando's. At first, Nando's, was described to me as a British KFC, but it's so much more than that (and better!). Nando's is actually a classy, sit-down restaurant. They serve barbecue chicken and peri-peri chips (fries) that are so delicious!

Afterwards, we made our way to Kingsland Road, a Main Street of sorts for Shoreditch. We went to a wild club I've been dying to go to since the first day, The Shoreditch. Two cocktails for ten pounds AND free entry? I'll take it! We got wild drinks with such names as a happy buddha, planet of the apes, velvet mai tai, and our favorite, a bunny with a gun. The latter consisted of rum, strawberry juice, and... absinthe?! Yes. It was exquisitely delicious. We watch the live band downstairs finish playing and then went upstairs. The DJ was playing 80s music. Really, this place was made for me. We grooved to some of my favorite songs, and I had to be forcibly dragged (by my friends!) from the dance floor during "Karma Chameleon." I was just so in my element!

Thursday was a fairly normal last day at the office; it was nice. Andre took us to an event previewing Forever 21's Christmas line (look out, Mom, I've already picked out what I want!). The hors d'oeuvres and free champagne really made the event, though. I ended up going to Leicester Square for one last night out with everyone. We never got into a club, though. It was pretty late. We did, however, go to the fountain right in the middle of Picadilly Circus. We sat on the steps for almost an hour and just took in our surroundings. All of the lights and cars and buses were so beautifully overwhelming juxtaposed against the night sky. It was my favorite moment of the week.

Today, we had an awesome sushi lunch in our neighborhood, and we're going to Abbey Road! Nothing like waiting till the last minute, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment